Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My special guest ... Annie Armstrong!

Hello again! Sorry it's been so long since my last post, but a lot of stuff has been going on these past few weeks with our church (if you've read Leap of Faith's blog, you'll know what I'm talking about). Due to the fact that so much has happened since my last post, I'm not going to pick up where it left off, instead I'm going to introduce you to a very special 'person' in my life. Give it up for Annie Armstrong! Okay, so it's not the Annie Armstrong you were thinking, I was talking about my Basset Hound, who is named after said famous lady. Ain't she sweet?





If you'll remember, Annie has been mentioned before, but ya'll haven't been given the full story yet. I thought it's high time I do so, seeing as my sweet girl is recovering from surgery (we'll get to that later).
Since I was little I had been begging for a dog, a real pet- but that never happened until April of 2009. A friend of ours had seen Annie (then named Mary Jane) and her brother on the computer and asked us if we wanted to take the female and he'd take the male. Mom and Dad agreed and a couple of days later Dad and the friend I mentioned earlier - went to get them from the previous owner.
The funny thing was, when I pictured us getting a dog, I always imagined us with a Great Dane or other big dog, and I wanted a male, but when I saw that skinny, sad-eyed, obviously mistreated - little female Basset, I just fell in love. When I said skinny and mistreated, I wasn't exaggerating. Her coat was in terrible condition and you could see every single rib she owned, worse yet, was that she was constantly trembling in fear. At first she was afraid of everyone, but especially men. When my Dad, who is not very threatening- tried to pet her, she would run the other way with her tail between her legs, and though she has always been better with women, she was still incredibly afraid.
I remember the very first day, when we were driving her home. I sat in the back seat with her and just petted her and talked to her, and I promised her that in no time at all she would be the happiest, healthiest, most spoiled rotten dog in SC. Thus far I have done famously well in keeping that promise (she is currently dozing on my bed, the one place I said I would never let her sleep).
As with most new dog owners, we didn't know at the time what we were getting ourselves into. Annie had been given to us pregnant. Her previous owners apparently bred Bassets. So in June, we welcomed a litter of five beautiful, wrinkly little purebred Basset Hounds. Three males and Two females. They were ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!! Let me tell you, being a Basset Hound midwife was no easy task, but it was the best biology lesson ever!
Anyway, the puppies were loads of fun, but they had to go, so when they were old enough, they all went to loving new homes and are doing very well. Annie doesn't miss them at all.
Since we got her, Annie has been making great strides not only in her health, but also in her social skills. She no longer trembles when she meets new people, but she will still run from a little teacup poodle... go figure...
Now, back to the present. Yesterday Annie had spay surgery, a very simple procedure. She did great, but she was gone the whole day and I didn't know what to do without her following me wherever I go. Mom and I went and got her this morning. Annie and I were both happy to see each other and I am once again at peace.
So now you know all about Annie Armstrong the Basset Hound. I know some of you probably couldn't care less, and I am truly sorry to have wasted about ten minutes of your precious time... you just wait until I blog about my cat! MWAHAHAHA! Okay I'm done.
Goodnight from Em and Annie!

5 comments:

  1. Great pics! Annie is indeed a sweetie & I'm glad she's home from the vet. Welcome back to the blogosphere :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was beginning to wonder if you had fallen off of the "wagon"...the blogging wagon that is!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed it so much.Glad you and Annie are doing well.Love and misses.Love you .Papa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    LOL! No, I haven't fallen off the blogging wagon, it's just that blogging insperation hasn't come up and whacked me in the head lately... plus, with all the work that has to be done in the church nowadays I'll come home and just want to be lazy for a while.
    I promise I'll try to be better about blogging, I may just blog about what we've been doing in the church. Would ya'll like that?
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Great blog (and pictures) about a pretty great dog. Now to hear about Lewis. Love, Mimi

    ReplyDelete