Thursday, June 17, 2010

Getting ready for VBS!

Hey, again!
On Monday, our family journeyed the two hours to Seneca to visit grandparents. Sans Dad. Being a pastor, he had to go to a convention. As usual, we had a great time seeing them again!
The church that most of our family goes to, Hepsibah- is currently having their VBS. Lifeway's VBS theme this year is Saddle Ridge Ranch. Yeehaw!
Now my family, and a few of my friends- know that VBS is the time I shine. It is what I look forward to all year, and I'm a teenager! I've been helping with our church's VBS since I was 12 or 13. First, I helped teach classes (mostly as law enforcement), but last year I helped with music. I'm doing the same this year. The music leader (hey, T!) is going to do the singing while I do the jumping around for her. Which is a good thing, since I can't carry a tune in a bucket. XP
Every year I've been helping teach I've done a little something fun with my outfit. For example, several years ago for Arctic Edge, I wore a scarf (but only the first day, it was really hot), last year for Boomerang Express, I wore a cool Australian-looking hat, and this year I've got a cowboy hat and different colored bandannas.
I highly recommend doing this if you are a VBS worker. I've found that it really helps the children to warm up to you. They know that you care about them enough to make a complete fool of yourself. I've realized that many of those children come from awful home situations, and they need someone to make them laugh, and to love on them. Of course, I'm always willing to dish out hugs, and I don't mind making a fool of myself if it puts a smile on a kid's face.
Our VBS starts this upcoming Monday, just three days!!! Please pray for the workers who receive great blessings, but no rest, and pray for the children who come. Whether they are regular church-goers, or someone whose parents wanted some free babysitting for a few days- they all need Jesus, they all have the same inner desire to know Him, and they all need His, and our- love.
Em
P.S. Here's some pictures of Hepsibah's VBS. I'll be posting on ours as we go along.
The little girl with the blue bow is my cousin Molly. Hey, miss Molly! The little girl sitting to her left is Shaynah my little friend and distant relation.
Some random decor and music class with the little ones.
The lovely lady in the middle with the hat is my Aunt Michelle. (Shout out!) She's doing music at Hepsibah with two other ladies.
------->

3 comments:

  1. I'll make sure that Shaynah sees her picture on your blog. I'm sure she'll love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pictures from Hepsibah. I can't wait to see your church and the children there. You've got the right ideas and the right spirit for working with children. Show them the Gospel in action. Way to go girl. Yee haw! We'll be praying for all leaders and children. Love, prayers, and misses, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good recap, E! I'm glad you're so enthusiastic about VBS & working with the kids. God gifted you with that!

    ReplyDelete